Senior Research Assistant
Johannes joined the Chair for Services & Operations Management in 2018. In 2017, he received his PhD in Sports Economics and Management at the German Sport University Cologne were he also received his M.Sc. in Sport Management in 2013. He obtained his B.Sc. in Economics and Business Economics from the University of Utrecht in 2011. During his undergraduate studies he spent one academic year at the LUISS Guido Carli University in Rome. In 2020, he joined the Singapore Management University on a 3-month visiting scholarship.
Johannes is currently interested in uncovering natural experiment settings in sports data and utilizing them for economic and managerial research questions. In his research, he has addressed health-related aspects of participation in sport and physical activity, labor markets in sport, and monetary valuation of intangibles.
- Wicker, P. & Orlowski, J. (2020). Coping with adversity: Physical activity as a moderator in adaption to bereavement. Journal of Public Health, (online first), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdaa059
- Chen, Y., Dietl, H. M., Orlowski, J., & Zheng, F. (2019). The effect
of investment into European football on the market value of Chinese
corporations, International Journal of Sport Finance, 14(4), 249-261.
- Orlowski, J. & Wicker, P. (2019). Monetary valuation of non-market goods and services: a review of conceptual approaches and empirical applications in sports. European Sport Management Quarterly,19(4),456-480. https://doi.org/10.1080/16184742.2018.1535609
- Orlowski, J. & Wicker, P. (2018). Putting a price tag on healthy behavior: the monetary value of physical activity to individuals. Applied Research in Quality of Life,13(2), 479-499. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11482-017-9536-5
- Wicker, P., Orlowski, J., & Breuer, C. (2018). Coach migration in German high performance sport. European Sport Management Quarterly, 18(1), 93–111.https://doi.org/10.1080/16184742.2017.1354902
- Orlowski, J. & Wicker, P. (2016). The monetary value of voluntary coaching: An outputbased approach. International Journal of Sport Finance, 11(4), 310–326.
- Wicker, P., Orlowski, J., & Breuer, C. (2016). Human capital, formal qualifications, and income of elite sport coaches. International Journal of Sport Finance, 11(3), 204–220.
- Orlowski, J. & Wicker, P. (2015a). The monetary value of social capital. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, 57, 26–36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socec.2015.04.007
- Orlowski, J. & Wicker, P. (2015b). The monetary value of voluntary work: conceptual and empirical comparisons. Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, 26(6), 2671–2693.https://doi.org/10.1007/s11266-014-9542-2